Monday 19 September 2011

Why you need to care about your characters



I currently know there's…

A naked man tied to a bed with a ball in his mouth as a femme fatale with murder in her heart struts up and down the room deciding what to do to him.

A detective who thinks he's going nuts because his pal, who's been in a catatonic state since he was stabbed multiple times by a broken bottle, has begun talking to him something which only happens when no one is around.

A woman and her boyfriend who has just got into a car with Britain's first white suicide bomber who's chosen the wrong day: the zombies have arrived.

No, there's no need to call the authorities. These people aren't real; they are characters in novels I'm writing.

Characters they may be but they have become real to me. I care about them. I care what happens to them, which means when I leave them in a precarious situation I want to see what happens to them. I want to see how they get out of the mess I put them in.

If you're starting to think your characters aren't good enough, ask yourself: do I care about them? If the answer is no then maybe it's time to rip them up and start again because if you don't care about your characters why would anyone else?

4 comments:

  1. Write faster, I wanna read these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. Also, the zombie thing sounds AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worry about the state of your mind!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise, I worry about the state of my mind too. Thanks Katie and Thomas. Getting stuck into zombie book now.

    ReplyDelete

Most read