Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Is there such a thing as method writing?

With method acting, actors try and create the same emotions in themselves as their characters feel. I try to do the same with my writing.



For instance
- if I have a character who is trapped and starving, I try to pretend I feel the same way. I will write that part whilst I'm hungry even if it means not eating anything for the rest of the day.

- if my character is thirsty, even if I  need a drink I won't take one.

- if they're scared I will try to go back to a time in my life when I was also scared. I will go to that place in my head and try and recreate it. How did I feel, what was the helplessness like, what range of emotions did I go through, did the fear have a smell, a taste? How did my mind and my body react to it?

- if they're cold, then I will be cold. We're in this together - me and the character I've created, so why should I sit in comfort whilst they suffer? 

4 comments:

  1. When I was writing a scene where my MC realised who the killer was and that her life was now in danger I started to well up - I've been told that that is a good thing as it meant that I was connecting with my character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I'd like to make fun of your method writing, I have to confess that when writing a short story that took place under a sweltering Texas sun, I left the air conditioner off in 90 degree heat. I'm not sure if it helped capture the atmosphere but I got that one done pretty quickly.

    Dare I ask what you put yourself through to write the one-legged waitress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chippy, that's happened to me a few times. I think it does mean that you've gone from creating a character to someone almost real.

    Copper, you are a dedicated man doing that. For my one-legged waitress, I had to wing it. No way could I go that far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to think as the character would think before I start writing. I don't try to recreate physical sensations though. If I wrote whilst hungry, I'd write about how it felt for me to be hungry, not how it felt for the character.

    That's not to say I think you're method is wrong, just that I don't think it would work for me.

    ReplyDelete

How Kirsty Gets Her Kicks heads over to Shotgun Honey

Kirsty's loosely based on Rose McGowan's character Cherry Darling I'm delighted to announce that I've just signed a ...